Last Updated on November 12, 2023 by Otuebo Harrison
If a Curvy booty and wider hips are your desires, know that it’s possible with hard work and consistency. You won’t get it overnight, but you can tone your hips and bum over time, shedding fat and achieving a firmer, curvy look. Our simple guide on How To Get Wider Hips Fast and Naturally,will help you reach your desired body goals.
All you’ll need to start is a simple- or medium-weight dumbbell. If you’re a beginner, use only your body weight until your feel comfortable.
Then, pick five of the exercises below and complete them three times a week. Make sure you hit each at least once in a week’s rotation. Be sure to rest 30 seconds to 1 minute in between sets, too.
When you master these moves, up the weight or add a set to continue to challenge yourself — your new booty will thank you.
RELATED: 6 Superfoods to Make Your Skin Glow
Before we begin: Reps are how many times you repeat an exercise. A set is the group of times you do that exercise. So if you did 10 reps for 3 sets, that means you did an exercise for a grand total of 30 times. Now let’s get going!
1. Donkey kick
For best results, make sure that your back doesn’t sag so your glutes are doing the work.
- Assume the starting position on all fours, with your knees hip-width apart, hands under your shoulders, and neck and spine neutral.
- Brace your core and begin to lift your left leg. Keep your knee bent, with your foot staying flat and hinging at the hip.
- Use your glutes to press your foot directly toward the ceiling. Squeeze when you reach the top.
- Make sure your pelvis and working hip stay pointed toward the ground.
- Return to the starting position.
Complete 20 reps on each leg for 3 sets
2. Chair poses
A number of different yoga poses can target your glutes and hips, like chair pose. To practice Chair Pose:
- Start standing straight with your feet together and arms down by your sides.
- Keeping your feet stationary, bend your knees and send your arms straight out overhead. Your thighs should be as close to parallel as they’ll go.
- Keep your gaze straight ahead.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
Other yoga poses to incorporate are:
- Locust Pose, which is great for strengthening lower back and glutes
- Warrior I, which is basically a stationary lunge
- Side Plank, which directly targets your hips
3. Side Leg Lifts
Side leg lifts are similar to side dumbbell abductions, only you’re lying down instead. This move targets the hip and glute more directly.
- Lie down on a mat on your right side with your back, neck, and head in a neutral position.
- Rest your head on your arm, which should be extended above your head.
- Stack your legs on top of each other.
- Brace your core and begin to raise your left leg as high as you can. Pause at the top.
- Slowly return to starting position.
Do 15 reps with each leg for 3 sets.
4. Side lunge with dumbbells
Working in different planes will help make the booty shapelier all around. Our bodies have three different planes of motion: sagittal, frontal, and transverse. Depending on which joint you move will determine which plane of motion your body is working. For example, this exercise will work the frontal plane.
- Start by standing straight, feet together, with a light- to medium- weight dumbbell in each hand.
- Leading with your right foot, begin to step out wide, directly to your right.
- Bend your knee and push your hips back. Drop your arms so they’re sandwiching your right leg.
- Keep your gaze forward.
- Prepare to return to start: Push off with your right foot and shift your weight to your left leg, returning to standing at center.
Do 12 reps on each side for 3 sets.
5. Squat kicks
These kicks can be a cardio move, too, so you get more bang for your buck.
- Start with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart and arms bent out in front of you.
- Squat down, pushing your hips and butt back, until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- On the rise, kick your right foot out to the side as high as it’ll go — think kickboxing.
- When your right foot comes back to the ground, immediately squat again.
- Repeat with the left foot.
A single rep is 1 right kick and 1 left kick. Do 10 reps to start for 3 sets. Then move up to 15 reps for 3 sets.
In addition to the right workouts, diet and genetics play a crucial role, so talk to your doctor and trainer about what’s possible for you. Be realistic about your expectations, but know that you can achieve your own Beyoncé body if you put in the work!
Follow this guide on How To Get Wider Hips Fast and Naturally, consistently engage in these physical activities and you will see result in a short time.